EANTC invites network equipment vendors to participate in interoperability testing focused purely on NETCONF and transport network-specific YANG models.
This interop event investigates only the management plane (between controllers/orchestrators and switches/routers).
We cover a number of use case scenarios, to be expanded in the up and coming talks with participants:
- 5G end-to-end slicing across data center, core/aggregation and access using different transport technologies
- Enterprise VPN services, specifically data center interconnect (DCI)
- Cloud-RAN xhaul and packet network clocking
The participation in this NETCONF interop event will be a precondition to refining and demonstrating NETCONF management scenarios at the MPLS SDN NFV World Congress in Paris.
Schedule of the Test
During the kick-off call, the test program, including the technical focus, will be introduced in detail. All interested parties are invited to attend the call without obligations to join the event - no NDA is required. In advance of each call, we will provide the dial-in details in our Wiki.
In order to attend the technical calls afterwards, we would need a signed NDA. Signing the NDA is non-binding with regards to actual participation. Please send an email to Laura Sergi.
Our goal is to help the industry to:
- Improve multi-vendor network management (provisioning, reconfiguration, fault management, performance monitoring) using the NETCONF protocol
- Provide a neutral, collaborative and amicable place for the whole industry where new NETCONF/YANG implementation aspects can be evaluated, outside competitive labs and service provider PoCs
- Promote the use of standardized YANG models where available and feasible and encourage the multi-vendor alignment of YANG models for standard device and service configuration aspects
- Understand and improve how third-party orchestrators can cope with non-standardized YANG models (some of which will always remain non-standardized due to competitive differentiation)
Test Bed Approach
Following our successful mixed on-site and remote SDN interoperability test events in 2020, and our series of fully remote interop and performance test programs in Network Function Virtualization (NFV) since 2016, we decided to take a step for SDN interop testing we had planned for a long time. Covid-19 changed the environment, encouraging us to go this way for multi-vendor testing as well:
- Remote testing
- Full remote control with VPNs, jump servers, videoconferencing sessions
- Virtualized platforms provided by EANTC
- Distributed (time shifted) testing
Benefits of Participation
EANTC’s interoperability reports are respected by service providers, raising customer awareness of the state of implementation for innovative network concepts. We describe use case scenarios and design blueprints which service providers can adopt for their network designs. Our reports have helped to kick off network innovation projects, to fulfill RFP requirements with regards to interoperability, and to avoid individual PoCs covering similar technical questions. Participation in this initiative accelerates multi-vendor interoperability and standards compliance of YANG model implementations.
The initiative provides a unique opportunity to test and troubleshoot interoperability with third-party vendors in a friendly pre-production environment. Previously, EANTC transport network interoperability tests took place only once per year. For NETCONF testing, a distributed, automated test bed with virtualized solutions will be more timely, more efficient, and require less support. Participating in the test event improves quality and reduces implementation time in customer projects.
Marketing and Publication
EANTC will pre-announce the event distributed to the extensive list of subscribers, in newsletters, and on our website – reaching service providers, carriers, and press worldwide.
The results of this interoperability event will be marketed:
- Whitepaper - extensive, detailed description of all use cases, test setups and results (positive results by vendor/solution name, negative results anonymously as "state of the industry"). It will be available free of charge on our website.
- Live demos - video clips with live demonstrations recorded by participants and EANTC representatives
- Press releases - by EANTC and participating vendors
We hope that this initiative is beneficial to you and look forward to your participation!
Please contact us in case you would like to setup a Wiki account (NDA required) and access the whole Wiki space of this project or if you have any other questions.
All updates are distributed using the private Wiki.
- No labels